Governor of the Cape Colony: In 1875, Sir Henry Barkly laid the foundation stone of the existing Houses of Parliament. But the building thus [...] was never completed and the corner stone in this occasion of all the pomp of circumstance above - has never since been traced. Extensive modifications were made in the buildings and they were not completed or occupied until 1885. The troops seen in the photograph are the Cape Volunteer Rifles, the Cape Town Cavalry and the 24th regiment whose members were massacred at Isandhlwana. Compare the houses in the background with the buildings which occupy Parliament street today.