Where people pray: Dockyard Church. The Dockyard Church at Simonstown is truly a sailors' church. It occupies half of the top story of the stone mast-house built by the Dutch East Indian Company, and was first used for divine worship by the Anglican community about 1801 during the first occupation of the Cape. The Dockyard Church of St. George at Simonstown is half of the upper room, or sail loft, of the old Dutch East Indian Company's mast-house. The small clock-tower bears the date 1815. The clock is balanced by three weights one of which weights 400lb. It is checked daily and, in spite of its age, only occasionally loses a few minutes.