Church Square has been much in the news lately with the closing down of the Civil Service Club (second and third building from the left) and its amalgamation with the City Club in Queen Victoria Street in 1976. This picture was taken in 1870, and shows the Gothic facade of the Rev. Dr. John Phillip's church (which later became incorporated in the Civil Service Club) and the pedimented building which began to house members of the club in 1865. Great changes have been made to both buildings since that year and even bigger ones can be expected in the years to come. Cape Archives.