Muizenberg pavilion opened: This was the opening day of the Muizenberg Pavilion on December 14, 1929. Built at a cost of some £200 000 it was destined to last only only about 40 years, for the demolition started on this building towards the end of 1970. This brick and stone building replaced the old wooden pavilion with its wooden-slatted promenade deck that served bathers and visitors alike to this most popular of South African beaches. This pavilion which was opened by the Cape Administrator of the time, Mr J.H. Conradie, consisted of three sections - the bathing cubicles, the tearoom-restauraunt and a theatre seating about 900.