Passed by thousands of motorists daily, on De Waal Drive below Rhodes Memorial, is the original graveyard of the Van Reenen family who owned Welgelegen, a farm which encompassed part of the present paddocks on the slopes of Devil's Peak. Gysbert van Reenen is buried here and in 1796 his son-in-law Sybrand Mostert built and operated Mostert's Mill. The mill and its threshing floor are open daily from 9 am to 5 pm. The thatched upper section can be turned to face the prevailing wind. The Welgelegen homestead of today was designed by Sir Herbert Baker on the site of the original farmhouse, and is a private house not open to public. The gateway, built by the Van Reenens at the end of the 18th century, has been declared a national monument.