(401 - 402 of 402)
- Malay Quarter restoration, Cape Town, 1965
- Bo-Kaap (Cape Town, South Africa), Apartheid, South Africa. Group Areas Act, 1950, Architecture, Local government
- Malay Quarter visit: members of the City Council's Finance and General Purpose Committee and other councillors yesterday inspected the two sections of the Malay Quarter where the Minister of Community Development, Mr P. W. Botha, is insisting that houses be reconstructed and restored on traditional lines. The committee will discuss the matter on Tuesday. Facing the camera in this picture taken in Wale Street with some of the affected properties in the back ground, are (left to right) Mrs J. Newton Thompson, Mr W. J. Peters, the Mayor, Mr H. M. Bowman, Mr F. Sonnenberg, Mr W. H. Andrag, Mrs E. D. Stott and, in the background, Mrs J. J. J. Bakker, chairman of the Housing Committee.
- Members of the Coloured Representative Council, Cape Town
- Cape Town (South Africa), Western Cape (South Africa), Apartheid, Politics
- Coloured Representative Council (CRC). Here are 58 of the 60 members of the CRC, pictured during the first sitting last year. Front row )from left): P.J. Pietersen (Wupperthal), Mrs M.M. Gabriels (nominated), S.S. Cloete (Steinkopf), A.C. Jacobs (O.F.S. North, W.J. Louw (Protea), G. du Preez (Swartberg), W.J. Bergins (nominated), L.W. Holander (Karoo), T.R. Swartz (nominated), I.S. Petersen (nominated), P.T. Sanders (O.F.S. South), S.M. Brown (Haarlem), M.D. Arendse (Tafelberg), J.E. Nash (Eastern Cape), E.G. Rooks (Greenwood Park), G.J. Fortuin (Breerivier), Mrs Nora Potts (Outeniqua), M.T. Fakier (Southern Cape), E.D. Dunn (Natal Country), F.E. Peters (Heideveld), E. Domindo (Rust-Ter-Vaal). Second Row (From left): H.J. Coverdale (Northern Transvaal), D.S. Habelgaarn (nominated), J.A. Rabie (Reigerpark), J. Poley (nominated), J.A. Ferris (nominated), E.C. Swales (nominated), G.I. Julies (Gelvandale), L.S. Leon (Diamant), A. Stanley (Liesbeek), W.D. Plaatjies (O.F.S. Central), W.E. Johannes (Kasselsvlei), P.J.J. Meyer (Genadendal). Third row (from left): J. Muller (nominated), S.P.J. Smith (Adendorp), J.C. Inglis (nominated), W.J. Swarts (Witwatersrand), A.J.L. Winnaar (nominated), A.A.S. le Fleur (nominated), Solly Essop (Bokkeveld), W. Pieterse (nominated), J.D. Pietersen (Rietvlei), J.C. Osthuizen (Mamre), W.J. Meyer (Bonteheuwel), Dr. R.H Arende (Berg Rivier), V. Sass (Elisiesrivier). Fourth row (From left): A. Adams (nominated), P. Swartz (Nominated), D.E. September (nominated), P.J. Jacobs (nominated), W.S. Africa (nominated), Dr. C.C. Pilcher (nominated), E.F. Jones (Strandfontein), H.J. Hendrickse (Bethelsdorp), F.W. Theron Kalahari), N.S. Middleton (Wentworth), L.V. du Preez (Newclare), J.L. Segers (Fissh River). Absent: D.M.G. Curry (Pniel), M.B. Savahl (nominated). Nominated members are those appointed to the council by the government.